denzil3009

Latest river reports

26 posts in this topic

Well after the recent rain and snow on the hills, river levels were up. The water was very coloured as you would expect. Levels have started falling and levels are good enough that we should hopefully start to see some fish coming into the system.     

Today, the river was still quite high and coloured. On the plus side the council have been down on beat one clearing some of the vegetation and trees from the river bank giving better access. Still needs a few days to get down o better fishing water.

1 person likes this

I was down yesterday. Water was very high and coloured.

didnt see any fish jumping or trying to get up the ladder.

Was down there yesterday for a walk , river looked good but I was there after hatch times so never saw any rising fish , there was a couple of lads spinning on the opposite bank.

Down on Beat 2 this afternoon for a few hours. The river is in great condition....running clear and at a nice level. A few fish rising for an hour or so. Managed 4 to the net and lost 3. Two of the fish well over the pound mark. All to the dry fly........2 on a size 16 grey duster and 2 on a size 16 light olive (with blue dun hackle and coq de leon tail).

Also saw two kingfishers so looks like the river is coming to life again ! 

1 person likes this

Was down on beat 3 today between 11 and 2.

Water was low and there was a stiff downstream cooling breeze.

A few flies hatching including some large brook duns, see picture.

Never saw any fish rising or any fish movement at all.

Was fishing klink and dink with flies that normally do the biz but not a touch.

20170423_125053.jpg

OK Guys, the season is o"fish"ally open. Joe's caught his first fish of the season today .

Down on beat 2 , between 11am and 2pm, weather mild and slightly cloudy. LOTS of flies, mainly LDO duns, hatching and plenty of fish rising.

Too clumsy with first 3 takes, then one was rising in the quiet zone of a lovely riffle area. A hard take on a size 14 dark olive klink (debarbed)  and it was on, a 12'' beauty, with substantial girth, in great condition, and it wasn't going nowhere without a fight. My goodness, it doesn't get any better. 

I don't normally take pics as I like to get them back in quick, but first of the season, I couldn't resist.

Saw several dippers, yellow wagtails, and a heron on the prowl. 

Took one smaller fish around 8'' then time for home. - Happy days .

IMG_0769.jpg

2 people like this

Nice one Joe. I was on Beat 2 on Friday afternoon from about half three for a few hours. There was a nice hatch of olives and fish rising to take them in most of the pools and runs. Managed three to the net (all on dries....size 16 olives) and lost and missed more than I would care to mention...as always I am an expert at long distance catch and release !! Met with another member who had managed 5 nice fish that day....so all looking good on our wee river for the season ahead. 

Was out earlier today for a couple of hours on beat 2. The water is very low but running nice and clear, lots of olives hatching along with some march browns and sedges, got 2 brownies both around half a pound, plenty still rising when I left so should be a good evening if you're out, tight lines.

2 people like this

Out on Beat 2 yesterday afternoon.....fish rising in most of the deeper runs and pools.....to olives I think....I'm not that good on entomology.....water is very low but it's raining today so hopefully this will liven the river up a wee bit. Managed a few to the net....one of just over the pound.....big fat fish which fought like a demon......great sport on a 4wt !!  As usual, loads lost, risen and missed. All fish taken on dries size 16 grey duster and lark and grey. Noticed the vegetation on the bank is growing fast further upstream towards the Airport, so if you want to fish Beat 3 better do it soon before access becomes too difficult.

Tight lines to all who venture out in the next few days.

1 person likes this

Down on Beat 2 last couple of nights.....fish rising everywhere. Managed a few to the net on dries...mostly taking wee size 16 and 18 olives.....one around a pound and a half....a beautifully plump and big red spotted fish which I took on an olive Klinkhammer.

Tight lines.

Hi Colin,

sounds like big fat red spotted Fred from Beat 2 has been caught again -he never learns does he!!

Oh ,nearly forgot, caught a nice one about a pound on Beat 3 at Kirkliston last week, but blanked on Thursday evening further upstream -no rises even though masses of fly hatches

Was down on beat 2 today between 6 and 9 just as things were cooling down. Not many fish rising but managed three and lost a couple, nothing of note, biggest around 10oz. Quite hard going, lots of flies around but never saw any that are of interest to trout (olives etc). Tried a lot of different flies from griffiths nats, klinks etc but the only fly that worked was a size 16 olive F fly. I haven't actually seen a proper hatch this year so far. 

That's the way I have been catching Alan.....trial and error ! Was on Beat 3 on Sunday afternoon and had about a dozen changes of flies before getting any interest....very frustrating as fish were rising all over the place and I was faffing about with bits of leader and different flies. Eventually rose and netted a few on small size 18 olives but, as you say, it is hard going at times to work out what they will rise to. Beat 3 is now like a jungle and at a guess, in about 2 or 3 weeks it will be mostly inaccessible unless you stay in the water. So it will be back to Beat 2 or even the public park of Beat 1 if I have to !!

Great night on Beat 2 last night....River at a nice level and relatively clear with fish rising everywhere....10 to the net (average 8 to 10oz)... all on wee size 16 Olives apart from a couple on size 12 Olive Klinkhammers when dusk came. Many more lost and missed as per usual !

1 person likes this

Great night on Beat 2 last night....River at a nice level and relatively clear with fish rising everywhere....10 to the net (average 8 to 10oz)... all on wee size 16 Olives apart from a couple on size 12 Olive Klinkhammers when dusk came. Many more lost and missed as per usual !

How did the sea trout evening go (I was on holiday), and has anybody been out for sea trout recently?

I managed a short evening session on the river last night targeting ST, managed 3 small finnock and 4 small sea trout (very nice ones of 1lb to 1/4lb), all on fly. Had offers from at least a dozen others, or follows or lost.

TBH honest I'm not sure when a finnock is classed as a ST so I put a distinction on at a 1lb  

There seems to be plenty around so now is the time if you have ever wanted to catch one on the fly

Edited by Alan T

Nice one Alan.....Was that Beat 1? I was on Beat 2 last night and had a couple of nice brownies on dry fly.....a wee size 16 olive. There was someone else fishing downstream from me and I hope they caught something as there was fish rising all around him.

Beat 1 Colin. There were two guys fishing at wall pool dont know them so fished downstream of that. Only had wellies on so fishing short casts mainly from bank. Fished 8ish till 10

Was on the river tonight, still plenty ST around willing to take a fly. Had a few nice ones again, all sea liced, and all in great condition, really thick set fish this year.

There's an example of one I took out the water for a quick photo for the forum.

Great fun on a fly rod

20170705_215406.jpg

Nice one Alan. Was further upstream last night and had a few nice brownies.....the river is fishing well this season.

Unfortunately I've not been able to get out on the river much this year so have been deliberately targeting ST with light tackle, fly only. I'm convinced that you're more likely to get them on fly than by spinning.

I've had more than a dozen over a 1lb in two nights which is good sport by any accounts. Just need to catch some bigger ones now. I've seen the odd 2 to 3 lber, not many but they are there    

Was out on upper beat 2 on Thursday night and there were a few big fish about.....saw one Brownie come right out the water which must have been around 3 or 4lb. I think it was trying to shove another fish out the lie as another around the pound mark came out at the same time about a foot away. Do fish do that ?

Managed to catch a couple of brownies around the 1lb mark and was snapped by a brownie which was certainly not any less than 2lb. Took off like a train, tailing its way upstream.......exciting to watch but depressing when it snapped.....that's fishing !! Took a size 14 dry olive....barbless hook so hopefully it will work itself out.