Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Colin McKay

Season 2017 Anyone been out yet?

8 posts in this topic

Anyone been out yet? Weather and river level looks great for a spot of brownie fishing....I'm going to try and get out tomorrow and have a go.

Out yesterday on Beat 3...Still a bit cold with an East wind blowing the cold in, but water at a nice level and flowing relatively clear (for the Almond !) ....no fish looking up yet but managed a couple around the 8oz mark...one in the net and another lost at the net !! Both on a wee size 16 gold bead head polish nymph, taken from the faster pocket water.

Was out yesterday and today , today been duller was a much better day for it . Had 8 today one yesterdy

1 person likes this

Jeez Colin, leave some for the rest of us!!!

Great to hear the river's starting up well for the season

Had a nice day yesterday pottering on Beat 1, from the cordoned off steps, to some of beat 2 just past the brig. Conditions were a bit blustery and the temperature had dropped a few degrees from Wednesday; saw very little rising (one or two above the parapet). Had one take to a small Diawl Bach which I missed, but I will be back next week for another go. Incidentally, does anyone know of a shorter route to the other side of the steps - that doesn't include walking in the river?

Cheers,

Fraser.

Was down today was quite good a good number of fish to dries the east wind helped a lot with presentation.

now a major rant;

today a supposed club member of which I've seen before on the river stormed down my pool spooking my pool then asking me first where I was from , I replied Linlithgow then to see my permit  Which I said sure . He then said I doesn't matter then said you'll probably get asked by a committee member further upstream. I then walked upstream when he once again walked past the pool as I was covering the fish . I asked him if he wouldn't mind keeping a distance, as it's only common angling courtesy. His reply was I can walk where I like and if you don't like it go back to Linlithgow. I don't know whether this person has had run ins with people from Linlithgow in the past , but his people skills are atrocious, manners non existent To be honest  I think he's a bit territorial about that Kirkliston stretch of the almond I've met him briefly before only to hear I was here first which was fair enough so I moved further upstream giving . any way I don't think it's a good idea that people which ain't willing to treat fellow person with respect to go around asking people for permits. Rant over. 

Colin w

Hi Colin

Sorry to hear that....there are always some who spoil things for others. You do know you are also fully entitled as a club member to look at his permit / id credentials if he asks you?

1 person likes this

Cheers Colin, yes that occurred to me after the incident, it's fair enough asking for a permit but the hostile and unfriendly attitude isn't really necessary. Sod's law went over on my ankle lastnight so no wading for me for a while.