Alan T

Danger stranger

5 posts in this topic

I've been down past Cramond falls this week on two occasions (mon night and tonight). Both times there have been strangers fishing at the wall and apparently a person had just left after 'fishing with bait' at the ladder (I didn't actually see this person, only heard about him).

I made a point of speaking to each of them and asked to see their permits, only one had a permit (a day ticket). 

I advised them all that they need a permit and pointed them to the website, not much more I could do, and they were generally polite. One seemed quite keen on the idea but we'll see. They were not together and didnt know each other so not a gang as such.

It cant be a coincidence that the only two times I pass the wall pool, non permit holders are fishing.

Is anyone else seeing this, anyone go down that way these days?

Edited by Alan T

I never go down that way to fish anymore as that part of the river just annoys me but I come across people without permits all the time further upstream ....More than once I have been told to f... off when I ask if they have a permit.  It just seems acceptable to a lot of anglers that you can fish the Almond without a permit.....Don't know how we sort this but it always seems worse down the Princes St Beat when the sea trout and salmon arrive....loads of people without permits standing at the wall pool chucking spinners and bait at the same bit for hours on end !!

I'm not sure if Forth Fisheries have a bailiff that could do some spot checks for a while 

Alan

Cramond Angling Club have a meeting with Police Scotland and the Forth District Fisheries Board on the 24th July. At the meeting the issue around non permit holders will be addressed. The Police have already stated that they are keen to get involved with the club in going forward with spot checks and are already checking when they have free staff to carry out this task.

The FDFB will be present also but they have their hands tied as they currently are short of numbers to patrol the whole of the district. I will keep you up to date with the progress. following the meeting.

In the meantime can you continue to check persons for their permit and if they refuse to leave or give you any abuse please call 101 and report it. Unless we start reporting this through 101 the police wont think that there is any problem.

Many thanks

Cramond Angling Club

1 person likes this

Hi

Happy to keep challenging and keep awareness of permits / club membership as a member and advising that they can't fish eithout a permit etc.

Personally I wont be asking anyone to leave the water (do club members have the authority to insist on this anyway?). I continued conversation with two of these guys at my car so dont want to risk damage to my property as could be a distinct possibility going by the types I've met. Same with calling the police , I'll only call if threatened.

At minimum we should all be reporting in on this thread on how many people we are finding without permits, or who refuse to show them. That way the club can present this tally to the police at the meeting.

So far my tally is 5

Sounds like Colins met a few too. 

Lets all report in and quantify so we can present the extent of the problem to the police.

Cheers

Alan

1 person likes this