johnmacneill@btinternet.co

New members introduction to the river

26 posts in this topic

I gather  in previous years an introduction evening to the main  pools  has been offered in previous years to new members. Any plan to do the same this year?

Hi John

I Just stay around the corner from you and would be more than happy to take you up some of the pools and runs in the river. As there is over 8 miles to cover I think short sections at a tie would be a good idea.

Just drop me an email and we can arrange something. Any one else that wants to come along or to help out is more than welcome.

Hi John (and any other members)

All members should have received a link via email to the committee's Activity scheduler to allow all members the opportunity to say what things they would like to see happening in the coming season .

One of these was evening on the river sessions (assuming there was an appetite for this from members),which is I think what you are looking for.

I would urge all members to return their forms as soon as possible to me,  noting what activities they would like to participate in.

Then the Committee can organise the stuff that people want.

To date 3 responses (one from a committee member)

As they say -use it or lose it!!

Secretary Fishalmond

Yes....c,mon guys...fill in the forms....it takes two minutes and then we can organise events like the river introduction with the knowledge and confidence that members will actually turn up for them.

John,

My apologies, I see that you were actually one of the few who has in fact returned the form.

Many thanks

Hi folks,

First time poster and new member here. I'd be very interested in this too but didn't get any email regarding any activites. Any chance someone on the committee could send a copy on to me and I'll complete it asap.

Cheers

Rory

All the emails were sent out via our system.

I have resent the emails just incase some people were missed.

new to the forum & river .

i have fished mostly stillwaters for rainbows, this season I want to try river fishing for brown trout. Any help tips will be much appreciated

best size of rod, beats to fish . I live in Queensferry .

thanks in advance Adam

Hi Adam

Most rods from 3 weight right through to 7/8 weight are generally fine on the river although the lighter you go the better the fight of the fish in the river. remember that the fish in our river are wild fish and vary from a few ounces to a few pound. The hardest thing is finding the right fly. The information section has some tried and tested flies on it, but there is nothing better than getting out and trying some different patterns for yourself. Also talk to anyone you see down the river as most members are more than happy to help you out.

Hope this helps, a bit anyway

Hi Adam

Just as an aside.....to get any decent results from the Almond you will likely need to get in the water at some point. Be very, very careful .....The river bed is full of big holes and boulders. Best to have wading boots with felt soles, a wading staff, go slowly and just don't go too deep.

Tight lines when you do get out there.

Hi Adam,

I'm new to the Almond this year too and haven't fished any rivers since I was a kid! I'm using my stillwater setup at the moment (9'6" #6/7) and have been out a couple of times at the back of the airport (beat 3?). I naively tried to tempt out any really stupid fish with some of my bigger stillwater flies to no avail. As mentioned in a previous post there is a great list of "potential catchers" on the website and I promptly ordered a few small Goldhead Hares ears and diawl Bach's. Out again on Tuesday and was rewarded with my first Almond trout...Great wee fish around half a pound. I've not seen any rises yet so am trying to work out how besy to nymph fish on the river at the moment.... Still with the floating line, 10ft straight leader and two nymphs (one weighted) just now. If you find out anything else that works please let me know!!

Oh and as per Colin. I had to invest in a pair of waders to get around the water in Kirkliston. Not sure what it's like in other areas....

Cheers

Roru

Rory glad to hear I'm not alone,  I already have some light tackle I bought years ago but never used . Hopefully I will get out soon . Maybe see you there.

adam

1 person likes this

If you are fishing dries you can't go wrong with grey dusters, cdc f flies and any kind of olives....size 16's usually do the business for me and if the fish are fussy I will sometimes go down to size 18 and then 20. If the fish aren't rising I will usually try hares ears, pheasant tail nymphs and polish nymphs, sometimes with an invicta or silver march brown on a dropper, and I personally wouldn't use anything bigger than a 9ft 5wt rod on the Almond.....At present I am using a 9ft 4wt and will likely go down to a 3wt if the wind drops....the lighter the better as the Almond trout are very easily spooked. I use a 9ft 7lb tapered leader and attach around 4 or 5ft of 3lb flurocarbon to that with a 2mm leader ring. 

As far as the different Beats go it is probably better to fish Beat 3 just now if you want to try it as come the end of June, access to the water can be very difficult due to the vegetation on the bank which grows very high and thick. Beat 3 has some very big brownies and in my opinion is very good dry fly water. The lower Beats are relatively easier for access and can also produce some big fish but they can be busy with dog walkers. Lower beat 2 can be especially busy with kids in the summer holidays. Lower Beat 1 ...below Fair a Far Weir.. is where you have most chance of catching a salmon or sea trout but be prepared for an audience if you catch anything !!.....Teal Blue & Silver, Silver March Brown or Peter Ross for them usually work. 

Hope this helps guys.

2 people like this

Hi guys (and ladies?) , 

Eric from Aberdour here

Just joining this year, looking forward to a new river, hope to pick your brains over the coming season. See you on the water. Tight lines!

1 person likes this

Hi Eric

Welcome to the forum. Please feel free to ask any question (fishing related of course) and someone on the forum will try to answer you.

cheers

Richy

Great to see new members using the forum, and getting some quality advice from Colin and Richy on the fishing.

I would reitterate Colins point about safety when wading. Always take a wading stick ,particularly if the water's up a bit, and don't take a step until you're sure you know the depth there. 

Watch out at Kirkliston as some of the pools get VERY deep soft silt deposits later on which makes it  difficult to even pull you're foot out to take a step !

Stay safe and tight lines.

Joe 

1 person likes this

Thanks to everyone for tips & great advice, hope to get out for the first time tomorrow.

Adam

Wrong section reposted

Edited by Alan T
Wrong section

Just started fishing on The Almond and would welcome advice on best patterns and also an indication of the most likely pools to try.

2 hours ago, buzzer19 said:

Just started fishing on The Almond and would welcome advice on best patterns and also an indication of the most likely pools to try.

http://www.fishalmond.co.uk/what_flies.html/

this should give you some helpful info with what flies. I'm sure another member can help out with the right pools 

Denzil3009 many thanks for your help and quick response. Just back from Cammo and drew a blank so anxious to see if I'm using the right patterns.