Alan T

Hows the river been fishing?

18 posts in this topic

Not been able to get out yet due to a leg injury.

Has anybody been out, hows the river fishing, and has anyone caught anything of note?

not yet mate, but the river and the fish are in amazing condition for the time of year, hopefully you get out fishing soon, u will c what I mean.

1 person likes this

I've had a few on the dries but nothing great...the usual 10/12oz. There's a big fish rising under the Brig which I have been trying to catch for the past two weeks...just can't get a good drift !!

1 person likes this

Been out about 3 or 4 times since start of the season  infact was out just yesterday  in the sun , some nice fat brownies had, nothing massive best 1 1/2 lb, but great fun , had them on a mixture of dries and nymphs.

1 person likes this

Out on Beat 4 yesterday...loads rising... had a a few fish, all on dries (Lark & Grey 14's &16's)....hooked two fish in the 2lb plus mark which both snapped my leader off!!  

All sounding great. You've done well on those flies Colin.

Davie McPhail pattern Alan.....Very time consuming and a bit of a faff to tie, but lethal on the Almond when the fish are feeding on the duns. If anyone catches these two fish I want my flies back ha ha. In all seriousness though, they are barbless so hopefully will work themselves out eventually.

Had a good day on the river today came across some really nice fish landed two of them the best of them 2 1/4 lb to a size 14 klinkhammer . There was one tight to a tail of a pool I really should have done better with  dragged kicked in if this rain doesn't colour up the water I'll try again tomorrow, if not I'll be heading for the coast. 

Loads of olives coming off the water in the last week, fish free rising all along the river. Some easier to get too than others. Had a few brownies nothing to write home about but good sport though. If the water stays like this for the next few days it will be even better.

Was up again today got there for about 12 ish  the hatch a wee bit slower  but had thd odd riser from the off took fish on klinkhammers and CDC,s . It's looking like a  really good season on the river , had another just under the two pound mark today plenty over the pound too. Still looking for that big fella on the feed.

Sounds good Colin. It'll be a while before I can get out this season, if at all. Great to hear the river is fishing well but also making me frustrated!  

Keep the reports coming guys, always good to know what's happening.

We update . Was on beta 2 and 3 today,  amazing hatch  of fly , I've lost a couple of  b ruisers in the last week today's maybe between 2 and half maybe 3 , both went into the bank side willows. :( I tried Tom apply some siside strain but on both occasions fly parted . Never mind . Loving fishing the river at ghe moment plenty of fish to cast at of a good average size and the clarity is fantastic.

1 person likes this

Fish seem to be bigger this year....Had a couple of crackers last week..one at around the 3lb mark and the other about 2 1/2lb on the same day. Also been snapped twice by big fish. Long may it last. The three pounder came to a Klinkhammer drifted blind down a fast riffle and almost bent the hook straight.

1 person likes this

Stopped taking pictures a while back Alan....don't really see the point of loads of pictures of fish that I never look at after a day or two!!

Hi Guys

Was down at the waterfall area yesterday and the river was very low, if you have fished down at the waterfall pool you will know the two runs. The only run is the far bank one away from the wall. Only a few rising fish to be seen. Same in the car park pool two distinct runs one near side and the other on the far side again a few rising fish but nothing of any size.